You Deserve
A Lawyer Who’s There For You
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » Seek workers’ compensation in Connecticut

Seek workers’ compensation in Connecticut

On Behalf of | Sep 13, 2019 | Firm News

In Connecticut, an employee who suffers a work-related injury is eligible for compensation for lost wages and medical costs regardless of whether his or her employer was at fault. However, while employees can receive workers’ compensation benefits and seek resolution for disputes about these benefits, they cannot sue the employer to seek a settlement above and beyond workers’ compensation funds.

If you cannot work because of an injury you experienced at work, read on for answers to common questions about Connecticut workers’ compensation.

How do I apply for benefits?

After a work-related injury, inform your employer as soon as possible. You should also file the state’s Notice for Claim of Compensation form. Your company must file the state’s First Report of Injury form.

Can I see my own doctor?

You must schedule your initial medical appointment for a work-related injury with a physician chosen by your employer. After that, you can receive medical care from the doctor of your choice. However, he or she must be in your plan if you have company-sponsored health care or licensed in Connecticut if you are not on an employer health plan.

What costs does workers’ compensation cover?

You can receive compensation for the following:

  • Medical care from your authorized health care provider
  • Mileage or cab fare for travel to and from medical appointments
  • Ambulance transport
  • Lost wages for medical care received during business hours
  • Prescription medication costs
  • Temporary total disability benefits equaling 75% of your weekly wage after taxes
  • Temporary partial disability benefits equaling 75% of your wage reduction associated with the injury
  • Annual cost of living adjustments
  • Disfigurement and scarring

Injuries resulting from alcohol or drug abuse are not eligible for compensation, even if these injuries occurred at work. Workers’ compensation payments are exempt from state and federal taxes, which means you do not have to pay income tax on these funds.

You can appeal a workers’ compensation decision by requesting a hearing. You may have an attorney to represent you at this meeting.