Menu free initial consultations
Sousa & Minogue, LLC

800-807-2893 Hablamos español

The Experience You Need To Achieve The Successful Case Results You Deserve.

Connecticut workers’ comp – the basics

When you got up for work this morning, it was probably not your goal to suffer a head injury due to a falling brick on the job site and wind up in the hospital. Unfortunately, these things happen. When you are working with a crew of the other people, you cannot always control what those individuals are doing. No matter how much effort you put into following safety regulations, accidents are still going to happen.

Before the above scenario becomes a reality, you should take the time to find out more about your rights as a Connecticut construction worker and what you can do if you suffer a job-related injury. For example, does your employer have workers' compensation? If so, what kind of benefits does it provide? Will it cover your medical expenses and lost wages? Is there a time limit for filing a claim? For answers to these workers' compensation questions, read further.

Filing the claim

If you suffer a workplace injury, you typically have one year to file a workers' compensation claim from the date of the injury. However, if you suffer from an occupational disease, such as mesothelioma, you have three years from the time you began to experience symptoms to file a claim.

Eligible injuries

In general, workers' compensation will cover any injury that you suffer due to an accident at work. Even if you experience a heart attack during a regular performance review, Connecticut workers' compensation laws will provide benefits.


In most cases, the type of benefits you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries. For example, if you break your wrist, you might receive compensation for lost wages as well as medical and rehabilitative expenses. If you suffer an injury so severe that you cannot resume your duties in the same job, workers' compensation benefits might pay for vocational training in a different job.

Many people wonder if they can see their preferred doctor and still receive workers' compensation benefits for the expense. After you receive your first diagnosis and treatment from your employer's preferred doctor, you can see your practitioner so long as he or she is a member of the State Workers' and Connecticut Compensation Managed Medical Care Program.

Responding to a claim denial

If the insurer or your employer initially denies your workers' compensation claim, you have the right to request a hearing. The request must include the reason you want a hearing and any documented evidence that supports your claim. In most instances, people are able to receive a resolution through an informal hearing.

If you have suffered a workplace injury, it is important to understand your rights and options. Workers' compensation exists so that employees can receive the benefits they deserve if they suffer an injury or illness due to performing their duties on the job.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

take the first step - request a free consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get In Touch

Sousa & Minogue, LLC
375 Bridgeport Avenue Suite 9
Shelton, CT 06484

Toll Free: 800-807-2893
Shelton Law Office Map