Menu free initial consultations
Sousa & Minogue, LLC

800-807-2893 Hablamos español

The Experience You Need To Achieve The Successful Case Results You Deserve.

Injured on the job? Here's what you should know

In the construction industry, a job-related accident has a high risk of occurrence. Every time you step on to the job site, you are in danger of falling in a hole or being hit by an airborne object. Imagine what would happen if the scaffolding gave out beneath you one day. The consequences could be devastating.

Whether you are involved in a severe accident or you simply hit your thumb with a hammer and need stitches, you may be entitled to receive workers' compensation benefits. An experienced personal injury attorney in the Shelton area can help you through the entire process of filing a claim to appealing a denial of benefits. Read further for an overview of Connecticut workers' compensation laws.

Time limitations

After an accident has injured you on the job, you have one year to file a workers' compensation claim. If you suffer from an occupational disease, you have three years to file the claim from the date of the first symptom. For example, if you develop symptoms of mesothelioma or even carpal tunnel syndrome, you have three years to make your claim from the time you first noticed the problem.

Coverage and benefits

In general, workers' compensation covers most injuries and diseases that are a direct result of your job. In Connecticut, even heart attacks that occur during performance reviews are eligible for benefits.

Your benefits depend on how severe your injury or illness is and the recovery period. It is possible that you are eligible for wage replacement payments as well as job retraining programs. You are also entitled to free medical care for your injuries. While a doctor that your employer chooses might conduct your first exam and treatment, after that you can go back to your preferred physician or pick a new one.

The only stipulation is that the doctor has to be a provider in the State Workers' and Connecticut Compensation Managed Medical Care Program. If your preferred doctor is not part of the program, you can apply for approval to see him or her prior to the first appointment.


If your employer denies your claim, you have the right to request a hearing to dispute the denial. You have to provide in writing you reason for requesting the hearing and any documentation that supports your position. While most cases are resolved in informal hearings, you may possibly have to attend an emergency hearing or a pre-formal or formal hearing.

If you have been injured on the job, it is important to understand the workers' compensation claim process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

take the first step - request a free consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get In Touch

Sousa & Minogue, LLC
375 Bridgeport Avenue Suite 9
Shelton, CT 06484

Toll Free: 800-807-2893
Shelton Law Office Map